Monday, October 04, 2021

October Daily 4: Takakkaw Falls

 


Traveling along the Trans Canada Highway, a driver can pull off to the side for many interesting sights. One of these, in Yoho National Park, in the Rockies, is the Spiral Tunnels in Kicking Horse Pass. The tunnels were built in 1909 as a solution to the very steep grades through the mountains. Going up the hill trains needed extra engines, going down was dangerous because of speed and control. 

In the above photo, the train is traveling east, from the right to the left of the photo. The train enters the lower tunnel (going right) which spirals around to exit 17 metres (56 feet) higher, seen in the above photo as a longer train (going left, or east). This is the Upper Spiral and is visible from the road to Takakkaw Falls, about 2.5 kilometres from the highway. We found it rather by accident and are so glad we did. It's a fascinating example of engineering.

On our September trip to the Rockies, we stopped at the viewpoint over the Lower Spiral which is right on the highway, but vegetation has grown up and obscured the tunnel exit, so it's hard to really see anything. While there we spoke with a couple from California who were more impressed at the vast length of the trains than the tunnels, I think. Trains can be up to 4267 metres (14,000 feet) or 2.65 miles. Very long. 


The road to Takakkaw Falls twists and climbs in hairpin turns and narrow stretches to a lovely parking lot from where we walked a short distance to see the falls. There are glimpses of the falls from various points along the road and it's impressive to see it coming closer and closer. 

The rain was quite heavy during our visit, and you can see water spots on the photo. If we weren't drenched by rain, we would have been drenched by the mist coming off the thundering falls. 

Takakkaw Falls are the second highest falls in Canada, 254 metres (833 feet). The highest falls are Della Falls, here on Vancouver Island. (I have not seen them yet.) Takakkaw translates to "magnificent" in Cree. 


On our way back down the mountain, a small herd of female elk crossed the road in front of us and disappeared into the forest. A buck followed them and he stopped to have his photo taken. 

I think he's either giving me the stink-eye, or he's making sure that I'm getting the photo at the best angle to show off his impressive rack. 

Here at home today, I spent some time with my youngest daughter and her two little ones, worked on a writing project, and did a few household chores. When I went for a walk around 4:00 the air was chilly, but oh so clear and energizing. 

How was your day?

I usually try to visit your blogs and comment there, but I'm going to reply to your comments here this month and see how that will work. I replied to yesterday's and it was a bit of a chore as the reply button was slow and quite unresponsive. Maybe it just needs to warm up! :)

18 comments:

  1. It really does look like that buck is posing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must have been some amazing engineering feats to create your railroads. The tunnels through the mountains must have taken forever. I have an abiding memory of our camp site near Lake Louise and the sound of trains as they passed nearby. They seemed to go on forever as the trains were so long. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a magnificent post, Lorrie!
    October here is turning really autumnal, some trees are already without leaves.
    A longer post or a snippet, your idea of daily posts really cheers up this season.
    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of this makes me realize that I am sorely deficient in my exploration of the interior of British Columbia. We love Vancouver Island so much we always wind up going there. The fact that one of my wife's sisters lives in Victoria might have something to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing engineering! I love seeing the area you visit and live in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is grand and I really enjoy traveling with you. The photos of the elk caught my attention. Mike is friends with a man who is working with the West Virginia Dept. of Natural Resources to introduce elk back into our state. They flourished here many years ago, but that was many years ago. However, they are having great success with their return.
    Wishing you a wonderful week. I am anxious to see what we will be doing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Rockies are amazing to visit. Have you been to Waterton Lakes? We visited a few years ago and I have never seen so much wildlife. I enjoy Vancouver Island trips because I'm a poor traveller in cars. We used to go to the Cascades but I think our excursions will be in Canada for a while. You really take super photos. Do you use your phone? Daily posts are an ambitious project but your readers enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breathtaking!

    I think "he" is posing!!!!!

    🌻🍁🍂🏈🍂🍁🌻

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sighting and photo of the elk! He is magnificent.
    The falls are beautiful. The landslide in the upper right first photo is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a joyful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These pictures bring back a flood of memories from years ago when we traveled through that area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is such a handsome creature! And a train almost 3 miles long? I never knew any were even close to that. I have never had the chance to visit the Rockies but am mountain born so the pictures were glorious. I could almost feel the mist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photograph of the buck.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the buck was waiting for you to take his photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Takakkaw indeed. Such an impressive waterfalls. I remember the long trains in the west. They appeared to go on forever.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful shots of the elk. The waterfall is impressive, too. Had a wee bit of free time on the computer today since we aren't traveling the highways for a couple days. Happy October to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful country and falls. I would love visiting there and also take that train through Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful scenery and so interesting. The trains are incredibly long indeed, and the engineering is fascinating to get up the steep mountains. There is a similar loop in a train track which passes over the border ranges I showed in a previous post, and we have been to a lookout to watch. The Buck is magnificent, and you took a great photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites

  Today I awoke to the soft beat of rain punctuated by a chorus of birds singing their morning songs. It's a soft rain, soaking into the...