Tuesday, January 16, 2024

16 January - Ducks, Little Girls, Woodpecker

 


On Tuesdays we pick up the little girls from pre-school and bring them home for lunch, naps, and play time. Today we took a turn around the ponds to watch ducks coming in for a landing on the ice (smooth), waddle on the ice (awkward), and gather in the open water spaces. 


They love climbing on rocks, making silly poses, and all sorts of imaginative play. 


One of their most persistent games is Owner/Pet. The pet option varies - today it was tigers, but has been kittens, unicorns, or puppies. They play so well together and make me laugh quietly to myself as I listen to their interactions. I don't want them to ever lose the imaginative way they approach the world, yet I know it is inevitable to some degree. 

Our weather is warming up and another system is moving in tonight that could bring snow, or rain, or freezing rain. One can only wait and see. 


This female Downy Woodpecker is a frequent visitor to our feeding station. I like her elegant outfit and the polka dots on her wing and tail. 

A simple dinner tonight - Beef and Cabbage Skillet, Rice, and a salad, I think. I baked a Banana-Pear Cake while the girls were playing. Then to relax for the evening. 

13 comments:

  1. I love the thought of your littles being owners and tigers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a delight to see your two little granddaughters obviously enjoying each other and totally absorbed in their imaginative play.
    On the first photo, the male mallard looks as if he have a collar of ice around his neck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What dear little girls, and what a delight to have them every week. The ducks look happy, despite the cold weather. I bet the girls like them. What fun to have a woodpecker come by. You live in a lovely area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures, the ducks on ice sounds like fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so happy playing together. Dinner sounds good as does the cake. Miserable here. Just very cold and rainy. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an incredibly cute post. I love the little girls, their smiles and their cheerful outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are such special times with your little ones. They will never forget them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet that they can play and enjoy each other. How nice that you can pick them up from school and have this special time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sweet faces! Time with them is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Children have such amazing imaginations!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marilyn M5:05 PM

    Your granddaughters are so cute. I agree, I also hope they keep their imagination. Hoping it is warming there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, your granddaughters are just as cute as can be. I'm enjoying your bird pictures in these January posts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your granddaughters are growing fast. I would love to have Maxim with us.
    Your cakes sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...