Wednesday, January 24, 2024

24 January - This and That

 


Some time ago I picked up a discarded library book for older children about Landscape Artists. The 3-year-old and 4-1/2-year old occasionally choose it for me to read. I simplify and skip parts of it. Today, after reading the book, they decided to draw landscapes. "Imaginary landscapes, Nana," they said. We first began with a horizon line. There are brown polka-dotted skies, beautiful pink trees, a mountain, and three people playing in the garden. How I love listening to their chatter. Such wonderful creativity.


Another book read today was The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore. It was first produced as an animated short film, although the book idea came first. Morris loves words and writes in his book every day, "of his joys and sorrow, of all that he knew and everything that he hoped for." It's a lovely, imaginative tale. We follow this literary gem with "Are You A Cow?" which provokes all sorts of giggles. 


This afternoon I stepped out to empty the compost into the bin and ... the sun was shining! What a delight after clouds and rain. I took a little tour around the garden, noticing green shoots here and there. The little golden spires of moss glowed in the light. 


Snowdrops are hale and hearty after the cold spell followed by snow. 


I read a bit of folklore about snowdrops. "We should be wary about bringing them into the house before St. Valentine's Day, as any unmarried females could well remain spinsters."

I've not brought any into the house yet, but may do so soon. I'm not too worried about any possible results. The snowed-upon hellebores are recovering well with plenty of new buds promising flowers soon. 

Is anything blooming in your garden? 


12 comments:

  1. Sadly no snowdrops, they seem to have disappeared. But my pink Hellebore is doing well, just a tiny islet of colour in a wet and cold garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the beautiful little white flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine how you enjoyed time with the grandkids. Observing them at play is one of the precious memories for grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful and inspiring post, Lorrie!
    We have 50 cm of snow everywhere and about one metre where it has fallen from the roof: nothing blooming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. William Joyce's books and illustrations are wonderful. I met him once at a PBS meeting when he had a series on the network. Just a rope line, so to speak but his talk was engaging. I love doing art with kids -- and good job teaching them about the horizon line! I might have to try creative landscapes next time I'm with my tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing in the garden as yet. Thank you for sharing the snowdrops, a sign of spring. Also, so nice to get book ideas for the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s all about the hellebores here at the moment. I never succeed with snowdrops. Love to see children drawing they are so imaginative:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing blooming here as yet. I just went out to see how the hellebores fared in the snow and they don't seem to have been bothered. Snowdrops don't do well here. I admire yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No snowdrops in our tropical corner of the world, but I love how pretty they are.
    Spending time with your grandkids creates the most cherished memories that grandparents hold dear.

    Hugs and blessings, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh. Snowdrops! Soon you'll be doing lawns...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos. The snowdrops here are just starting to peek through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our lenten roses were beatiful before the snow. It may be a few months before they have leaves and blooms again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...