Thursday, January 04, 2024

4 January - Sunshine!

 


To my delight, the sun peeked out for a few hours today. I took a walk through my garden and surprise - snowdrops are blooming. My neighbour has a large patch of them beside the road and I'd like to ask her if I could transplant some to increase my paltry clump. I've read that you are supposed to divide them "in the green" right after they've flowered. 


Raindrops hung on rosehips which are fat and red this year. 
I went for a walk with my eldest daughter and her daughter while the sun shone and the wind blew. It really felt like spring. However, there are rumours of a cool down to more normal temperatures and perhaps even some snow. I'd love that! 


Meanwhile, green is the colour of the day, from bright moss to lawns that look better than they ever do in the heat of summer to the weeds that are growing in my vegetables beds. 

I've been reading about bitterly cold temperatures in Scandinavia and lots of rain and wind in the UK and Europe. Whatever the weather, I hope you are warm and cozy. 

12 comments:

  1. I love snowdrops. You have reminded me to see if the green shoots are beginning to appear on the meadow near us. A sure sign that spring is on the way. Please send some of that sunshine our way :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don’t have flowers here for the moment but the garden is flooded and I am scared for the bulbs too much water is not good. But next week we will be freezing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don’t have flowers here for the moment but the garden is flooded and I am scared for the bulbs too much water is not good. But next week we will be freezing !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snowdrops are out quite early. I'm still waiting for the forst little glimpse of white,

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very beautiful!
    Here -36 C last night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How delightful to have the sun grace your garden and discover blooming snowdrops! Transplanting them to enhance your clump sounds like a wonderful idea. Dividing them "in the green" after flowering is a good practice. It's a great opportunity to connect with your neighbor and perhaps share the joy of gardening. May your snowdrops flourish and bring even more beauty to your garden! https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/01/sulina-shop-facial-uplifting-oil-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so wonderful to have the sunshine even when it is cold. I love the birds and crafts you shared in the last post too. I should make myself some birds! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet surprise it would be to come up to a patch of snowdrops. Predictions are coming our way of a snowmageddon. Time will tell if they are correct. Happy First weekend of 2024 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely that your snowdrops are blooming. Ours will be a few weeks later. My hellebores are showing new growth and I've begun cutting off last year's foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are eager little snowdrops! Are they a tad early? I will have to watch for mine -- it seems like it was only a week ago I noticed that no green shoots at all were showing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely in your world. I'm admiring your snowdrops. Here in Michigan it's gray and gloom and dampness all day. We wait for snow. (Frankly, I could do without it but the gloom is a bit tiresome!) Envious of your sun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I envy your lovely snowdrops. What a joy it must bring to sight them in your garden, Lorrie. Today it's cool, overcast, and wintry with a forecast of snow later... for which I'm happy... the deep drop in overnight temperatures expected in a few days makes me nervous for all my unprotected (from snow) perennials in the garden. Wishing you a lovely weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...