Tuesday, January 02, 2024

2 January, 2024

 


Dull weather outdoors, with a fine mizzle falling. A good day for indoor pursuits and cups of tea. A decade or so ago I received a pottery teapot that I used every day and loved. Alas, it cracked, and I replaced it with a more modern looking pot. Flat lid with no handle that fell out often, and it dripped terribly. A poor choice. 


For Christmas my husband gave me a new teapot from Murchies - a local tea emporium. The lid stays firmly on even when I pour the last dregs of tea, and it doesn't drip at all. It's so pretty, too. It's the little things that make everyday life run smoothly. 


While out for lunch one day, I ordered a Waldorf Chicken Salad and it was so good that I've made it at home twice since then. Just a Granny Smith apple, cubed cooked chicken, two stalks of celery, a few toasted pecans, and dried cranberries. Today I substituted pomegranate seeds for the cranberries. Then a simple dressing of yogurt, mayonnaise, a bit of vinegar and honey, salt, and curry powder. So refreshing after a week or more of heavy food. 

More of Christmas is being tidied away each day. Tomorrow the grandchildren are coming over for a day of fun. It will be busy!


17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful teapot; a perfect present. Yes I need to think about a few fresher salads things to eat. I will be making my shopping list today so that’s a good prompt for me. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your teapot is lovely, and would cheer one on the most grey day

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love our tea in a pot too, and I relate to ill-fitting lids etc. What a beautiful new pot for a Christmas gift, and long may it serve you. I really like the chicken salad recipe, just the thing for us too. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually drink tea, but I can appreciate a beautiful tea pot. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great day with the kids. Love those days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all of the blue in this post . . . the tea pot, the mug, the plate, and the bowl with that yummy looking salad! I must try that combination of ingredients . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was given my first loose tea leaves and steeper for Christmas. You know what! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty teapot and so nice that it also performs well.
    You have just given me a good idea for using up that granny smith apple that has been lingering in my fridge since I made my Thanksgiving apple pie. I find them a bit too tart for my tastes, but added to this salad it would be delicious and healthy. Thanks for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:57 AM

    I'm a little teapot
    Short and stout.
    Here is my handle,
    Here is my spout.
    When I get all steamed up
    Hear me shout:
    Tip me over
    And pour me out!

    I'm a very special pot
    This is true.
    No more drips
    Or top pop-offs for you :)

    It's a very pretty tea pot, I love blue and the delightful little flowers on this one is especially lovely.
    By the way, this is Connie from Crafty Home Cottage :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new teapot is lovely and I'm sure much appreciated after the previous one. Whoever heard of a teapot lid with no handle?
    Have fun with the grands!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful gift! It's beautiful, Lorrie. And the salad sounds fabulous! Gorgeous photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look of that teapot! Glad it works well, too. That salad sounds great after all the holiday eating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The salad idea is one I will be trying! Thanks for sharing how you put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new teapot is so pretty, Lorrie, and I agree about the little things meaning so much.
    Your salad sounds heavenly. I do love Waldorf Salad and adding chicken makes it a complete meal.
    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:25 PM

    I do like your new teapot, and that salad looks delicious.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your new tea pot. I had this salad ounce in Dubai and it tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a beautiful teapot and I love your waldorf salad idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...