Saturday, January 06, 2024

6 January - Books and Hyacinths

 


A pale blue hyacinth is beginning to bloom. It's rather stunted, but fragrant. Behind the flower the string of lights on the patio railing forms lovely bokeh. 

After yesterday's rain, today has been sunny which always makes getting out for a walk more appealing. We passed a group of people doing Tai Chi in the park. Such controlled and graceful movements. 


My current stack of books. Surprisingly, all non-fiction other than Winter Solstice which I've nearly completed. I'll be ready for some good mysteries when I've read through this stack. The Last Secret of the Annex is finished, and I've just skimmed through The Betrayal of Anne Frank as there is much of the same material. I'm reading Israel slowly, a bit at a time, in an effort to gain more understanding of the current conflict. The Last Island is a local book about a biologist's experience on one of the small islands to the north of our large island. 


There are bookshelves in most rooms of the house, and some serious shifting around is going to happen soon. Tim has built in bookcases on either side of the kitchen fireplace and I'll be consolidating books. For the past year or two the shelves seen above have made me smile when I walk by them for they are organized by colour more than anything. Whimsical and fun. I'm sure a librarian would be horrified. 

15 comments:

  1. Flowers and books - the two loveliest things there are.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if many other households are also reading books relating to the current problems in Gaza to try and understand the current conflict more.
    We are reading Enemies and Neighbours - Arabs and Jews in Palestine and Israel, 1917 - 2017 by Ian Black - Black captures both the voices of the Palestinians and Israelis with equal compassion, and holds their leaders to account with equal severity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like an interesting book, Rosemary, and I will look for it. Both voices need to be heard.

      Delete
  3. Winter Solstice is put away now till next Christmas. It surprises me that I often find a passage that seems new when I re-read the book. Your hyacinth is pretty, and looks as though it is trying hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pile of books. I would be interested to hear more about 'Israel' - it is quite difficult to understand the complicated situation in the Middle East. How pretty your bookshelves look, colour coded. I love the look of it, but tend to keep my books sorted into various topics and categories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Organizing by colour sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books by colour sounds perfect. It’s definitely the time of year to organise and resort. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Lorrie~ That is a stack of books! I love that they are mostly non-fiction, and a good mystery does sound wonderful. I'm reading a book called, The Lost Bookstore. It's a good mystery and also and easy read. I would love to have bookcases built next to my fireplace! I just need to convince my carpenter that I need them ;0) Have a great week! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering what the book "Israel" is about since the title doesn't give anything away. We just recently appreciated watching "The girl from Oslo" a movie which also gives some insight into the middle eastern situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much as I think books arranged by colour look good I can't get myself to do that. Yours do look great, and I like the idea of a Hyacinth in bloom at this dreary time of the year. Their fragrance is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Organizing books by color is visually striking! I lean towards categories, but the aesthetic is lovely.

    Hugs and blessings, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really found the Betrayal of Anne Frank fascinating but haven't read "The Last Secret." (I have been fascinated by Anne Frank since I first read the Diary in seventh grade and have since read it several times, along with the fabulous Melissa Mueller bio of Anne and her family.) That's an interesting book list! I enjoy good non-fiction. And I loved seeing your book shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marilyn m3:04 PM

    I did read Winter Solstice a long time ago and love all of Rosemunde's writing. I saved her books to reread sometime. Maybe now is the time, hummm?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love thé colour organisation of your bookshelves! Gives me an idea for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Winter Solstice and Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my very favorite authors. I get immersed in her writing and characters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...