Monday, January 01, 2024

January 1, New Year's Day

 


How has this first day of 2024 treated you? Well, I hope. It was a quiet day here. The two of us did stay up until midnight, then fell asleep listening to distant fireworks. A slow morning followed by a long walk. 


Our visit with my parents and siblings on the mainland was a lovely time. While there, the two of us took another walk, around Mill Lake. Common Mergansers glided along so smoothly. 


Northern Shovelers made us laugh. They scoot across the water, beak just barely submerged as if sweeping the water for anything good to eat. A lot of time their heads were completely below the water and they turned in circles so fast that I would have been utterly wretched with dizziness. 


Today I also went out to the garden and took a look around. Picked some lettuce and spinach for a salad, and discovered some lovely looking turnips. They are washed and ready to cook. 

There has been some puzzling - a rather large 1500 piece puzzle that I hope I can finish. This evening I'm seated by the fire finishing off this post before pulling out Nigel Slater's Christmas Chronicles and Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher. Old favourites that I love to re-visit. 

Barbara at Coastal Ripples is beginning a blog a day for January, so I thought I'd join her and see how far I get. Day One is done!

11 comments:

  1. Such pretty photos! Wishing you and yours all the best for this new year, dear Lorrie, hope it's a good one!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in. Love your feathered friends. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful ducks! We had a quiet day too -- ending with a movie but including cleaning the fridge (essential!) and starting a new puzzle. Here's to a wonderful Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 2024 to you and your family, dear Lorrie!
    Peaceful walks, puzzles and books, even freshly picked vegetables... sounds lovely!
    I believe to notice that the days are already become longer but the temperatures are low now, -32 C last night and colder nights are expected this week. I'm heating the house now with two fireplaces.
    Thank you for your kind and interesting comments.
    See you soon for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of eating from the garden this time of year. I have kale I’ve not picked yet. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A leisurely start to the New Year is the best as far as I'm concerned. I always love seeing what you see on your walks. The Common Mergansers are so pretty. I had never heard of a Northern Shoveler, but I think I would have joined your laughs at their antics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun surprise those turnips are. Freshly picked vegetables from the garden sounds like a lovely way to start the year. I enjoyed the sights from your walk. Happy New Year, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those turnips are such a delightful unexpected treat!
    Starting the year with freshly harvested veggies from the garden sounds wonderful.
    Happy 2024, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Lorrie.

    I am hoping to start a 1000-piece Tea- themed puzzle that I got for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Happy New Year Wishes.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This morning I resolved to catch up with several of my blogging friends by reading just one or two posts from each. But I couldn't resist your January and so instead I read all 31 of your recent posts and many of the comments. Had I been here, I would surely have written a comment on each, but I will spare you. I did make several notes for follow-up! Thanks for all the beauty and things to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...