Saturday, January 20, 2024

20 January - A Lighthouse Picnic

 


We have guests this weekend - my sister and her husband. So I've prepared another travel post from last summer. 

Part of the fun of our across-Canada trip was being spontaneous. We knew where we were headed and had a rough idea of what we wanted to see along the way. We left space in our planning for doing things we might not have known about beforehand. 

Antigonish, Nova Scotia was our stop for a Sunday afternoon walk along the water. It was hot and muggy, but very pretty, green and lush. After returning to the vehicle we noticed a sign indicating Cape George Point Lighthouse. A narrow winding road took us to a beautiful look-off over the Northumberland Strait. (In Nova Scotia, there are look-offs rather than look-outs.) 


Blue sky appeared and a fresh wind blew away the mugginess. In the distance the faint outline of Cape Breton Island smudged the horizon. What is it about lighthouses that is so appealing? I know that I am always attracted to them, beacons of light and hope standing tall in storms. 

This lighthouse was first built in 1861 and was destroyed by fire in 1907. The replacement lighthouse of 1908 was rebuilt in 1968, so this is not an old lighthouse. We were unable to go into the structure. Most lighthouses are now automated, although I recently read an advertisement for lighthouse keepers on our coastline. 

Reasons for wanting to be a lighthouse keeper included: to watch the migrating sea and bird life along the coast, and to help people. Reasons for not applying for the positions: "Because you think it's romantic, you want to run away from your past and drink yourself to death, or you finally write that novel." Further to that, no alcohol is permitted on lighthouse sites. 



I put together a simple supper and we sat at a wooden picnic table admiring the view and soaking in the warmth of the sun. In a little store in Quebec I had purchased a venison pate - something not available at home. It was delicious with crackers, cheese, olives, and crudites. Other families came with their picnics on this fine Sunday evening and we chatted with them. 


We would have loved to overnight at Cape George Point, but there were no camping facilities. We did manage to find another site elsewhere overlooking the water and witnessed a late sunset streaked with clouds and light. 

Many more lighthouses featured in our travels and I hope to share the most memorable ones with you. Does being a lighthouse keeper appeal to you?


12 comments:

  1. I too love lighthouses. We have our very own at Corbière. I always hate passing it by boat because the sea at that point is always roughest. As for being a lighthouse keeper I’m not so sure. I’d love the view. Would expect delicious meals to be delivered daily by helicopter and a log burning stove a must for those stormy nights! B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful places you visited on your journey. No, Lighthouse keeper not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lighthouses fascinate me, and their picturesque charm is postcard-perfect. However, the idea of being a lighthouse keeper doesn't appeal to me, especially after watching horror movies involving lighthouse keepers!
    Love that beautiful shot of the lighthouse.

    Hugs and blessings, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love stories about the historic lighthouses and their keepers prior to changing to automatic lights which most have now done. What a hard, lonely life - not for me despite loving the sea and often wishing for more time alone. My most memorable lighthouse visit was to Cape Horn, Chile where we visited with the lighthouse keeper (Chilean Navy), his wife and two young children (obviously being home-schooled). They were preparing to renew the post for another 2 years as they all loved living there so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ocean, the solitude, the views -- these all appeal to me. The one thing that would not appeal is the thought running up and down all those stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful part of the country for sure. There are so many!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The reasons NOT to apply to be a lighthouse keeper made me laugh. I would like to experience that life for... maybe a week?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Karen about the stairs...ha-ha but otherwise how beautiful that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful surroundings for a picnic. I enjoy these kinds of meals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may be flying up to Nova Scotia to meet Rick when he rides his bicycle there next summer so I'm glomming on to your posts about the area as neither of us have been there. I love a lighthouse and your picnic looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't say that living in a lighthouse would be my cup of tea but when I was young I wished I could be a forest ranger in the North Carolina mountains. I still think a log cabin in those mountains would be my soul's true home. Lorrie, you make that little picnic seem a very gourmet fare!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...